Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Real World

No, I'm not referring to MTV's lame "reality" show. I'm talking about daily life as we know it here in the Rice Home. I was talking with several friends Tuesday evening about all of the "exciting" things we post on our blogs, making life seem a whole lot more interesting and "happily-ever-after" than it really is. So, we all decided to do a reality post on our blogs. Here is mine-- a day late (sorry ladies), but LATE or RUSHED is part of my reality!
Initially my plan was to do a "photo-log" of my real life, but I gave that up by 9:00 am. I do have some pictures up until then that I'll post (because everyone likes pictures-- let's face it, you're just gonna scroll down to the pictures anyway!) OK, so here's my life on Wednesday, September 10th:

-Grant woke up a little before 4 AM this morning-- WIDE AWAKE-- Now that he's in a Big Boy Bed and can get in and out at his own free will, he roamed the house. Initially I was up with him, trying to get him to go back to sleep, I even brought him to MY BED!! But, he kept getting out to go play with his train set, read some books-- returning occasionally to hit me in the head with a balloon (at 5 AM!!!)
-Around 6:00 he climbs in MY BED (note to self: this CANNOT become a habit!!) and goes to sleep in Scott's spot (Scott already left for work).
-My alarm goes off at 6:15, I realize that someone is already up. . . but who?
-Dallin is wide awake, and has been for some time and is happy and hyper. (I think: Darn it, I was going to post a picture of him with his pillow over his head while I try to wake him up for school at 6:45 for my "reality blog")
-Sierra is already up to--- WHAT IS THIS? by the time Makenzie's mom drops her off At 6:40
-I cut up toilet paper and wrapping paper tubes: FRANTICALLY getting ready for preschool that will be at my house this morning.
-Grant wakes up, has a meltdown because I won't let him eat Ghirardelli chocolate and carmel squares for breakfast (Note: by 9 am I had already eaten 4 square. . . because I NEEDED it).
-While I'm in the bathroom, makenzie finds a permanent marker and draws all over her body and clothes and shoes.
-Everyone is ready for school. Getting up so early is catching up with Dallin and he has a meltdown crying "I'm SOOOOO tired!!!"
-Jeff arrives to pick up Dallin (still crying). I walk him outside and get him in the car-- breathe, because now I don't have to deal with his crying.
-Back inside Makenzie has Grant in a headlock, pulling his hair (she was put in time out 6 times the day before for this). Grant gets frustrated and bites her back-- OWW! I think "Great, now I get to explain permanent marker and bite marks!"
-Hurriedly get things ready for preschool, pack up Grant and Mackenzie, take them to Sharla's (THANK YOU!) return home, move the couch to make room for circle time---WOW, I haven't vaccuumed under the couch in a LONG time!! Quickly vaccuum, look at all the dirty dishes on the counter, then the clock, decide I don't have enough time to completely empty and load the dishwasher. So I unload JUST the bottom and fill it again with all the dirty dishes. (I think: "now everything's contaminated, oh well, I'll just run the dishwasher again.")
-PRESCHOOL: We talked about the letter B. B is for BUGS! I LOVED IT! (I know I'm crazy, but I do love it)
-Go pick up Grant and Makenzie, and hurry to the Auto repair shop-- lots of fun waiting with a 4 year old and two 1 1/2 year olds chasing them around tire displays (PLEASE DON'T KNOCK ANYTHING DOWN!), and rescuing fingers that get stuck in the vending machines, while our blown out tire gets replaced.
-Go home feed the kids lunch, put down for naps--- breathe. . . everyone is sleeping (except me--I'm talking to a friend on the phone).
-Dallin comes home, I have him all to myself :) I give him a snack and he tells me about his day.
-Everyone is still sleeping, Dallin's watching Wishbone, so I get to take a SHOWER-- woohoo. . . 2 days in a row -- we're nearing my mommy-showering record!!
-Eat dinner, get kids dressed, go to church, hand kids off to Scott who meets me at the church before mutual.
-Mutual with my WONDERFUL YW!! LOVE IT! Presidency meeting. . . Home-- nice my husband is still awake. . . so is Grant (boooo)!
-Deal with Grant ( multiple times), talk to Scott, GO TO BED!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After talking to you I just knew that your day was going to be gooooood! and you didn't disapoint, thank you

randivon said...

Oh Melissa... you are so cute! This was a great post. It sounds like the hardest day I have heard about. And I have a feeling that most of your days are like this. By the by, I have decided that you should let me watch your kiddo's on Wednesday night so that you do not have to stress about it and maybe your husband can have a minute of down time if he is off of work. Let me know... I am serious!

Donelle said...

Sorry that you had such a crazy day. Aren't kids just the best. Your family is lucky to have such an amazing mom that can handle all that comes her way :)

Cindy Killebrew said...

What a day! You wore me out reading your blog. Next time you need to run some errands during the day give me a call! Sierra and Todd can play and the Toddlers can play. I am so glad Sharla was able to watch the kiddos for you during pre-school. You are an amazing mom!

CourtneyB said...

Holy cow. All this, plus you always wear a smile every time I see you! You're amazing! (: