Our family looks forward to General Conference every Spring and Fall. We have fun family traditions like the yummy food, ice cream Sundaes after the Priesthood session, pre-conference FHE , post-conference FHE, and of course the M&M game (except we used Skittles this time). We've tried lots of different activities over the years to help the kids stay involved and hear the words of our prophets-- Conference packets, activity centers etc. . . Pinterest had tons of Conference ideas for kids this year, but nothing that seemed any different than what we've always done. So, I decided to come up with my own ideas. Thankfully I have a wonderful husband who just lets me go for it (and even participates!!) when I get crazy ideas.
I came up with a Mission Impossible theme, and our Conference Fun started Friday night! The children were called to the living room and we sat there waiting for Scott. Suddenly the Mission Impossible theme song began playing and Scott came down the stairs wearing sunglasses, a black trench coat and carrying a sleek silver briefcase. (Sorry no pics of this). The kids' faces were priceless, they were SO CONFUSED. Finally, Scott opened the briefcase and pulled out a manila folder marked "TOP SECRET" and read the message inside explaining that in preparation for the upcoming conference there were certain missions they must complete. After completing each assignment they must return to "Head Quarters" aka. Living Room to receive their next mission. We then handed out black clothing to each of our little secret agents and they changed and got started on the assignments (clean up the family room, create our graffiti wall, sort skittles). Scott played the music and made a big deal out of each of the 5 assignments-- it was SO CUTE!
Agent G, Agent D, Agent E, Agent T, and Agent S pose for a pic
Reading about their final mission.
Their last mission was completed individually. First, they had to make it through the "laser hallway" and then knock 3 times on our bedroom door, where Scott was waiting. He gave each child a folder with their special assignment.
The Special Assigment:
Each child was given a different General Authority they were to "monitor" during conference and would return and report on what they had learned the following Monday during FHE.
Agent G. learning about President Uchtdorf
Our Graffiti wall Before Conference
Prior to each session of Conference, each child received a "Top Secret" folder which had an individual assignment (based on age and skill) for them to complete during that particular session of conference. If the assignment was successfully competed, their efforts were rewarded: we kept the rewards and assignments (including a couple bonus assignments for each child) in the silver briefcase Scott used the night before:
Dallin and Sierra working on one of their assignments-- marking scripture mastery scriptures.
Grant's completed assignment: a model of a temple made of Legos (see Moroni on top?)
Our graffiti wall AFTER conference
It was a GREAT conference! We had a lot of fun, and were spiritually fed as well. At one point during conference Grant exclaimed "This is the most special kind of Holiday". I feel the same way.














2 comments:
Oh my word! This is the best idea ever!! I love the graffiti wall too. I will definitely be taking some of these ideas for next time. I LOVE it!
I love it... wish we lived by each other again! You are always so inspired! you should be on pinterest!!!
Post a Comment