Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mad Scientists
Dallin's 8th Birthday celebration continued on Friday with a "friend party".  Dallin has been asking for a science party for a couple years now, but I've been unsure of how to pull it off.  Things came together this year, though, and we all had a lot of MESSY science fun!

When the guests arrived they were given lab coats (mens undershirts cut down the middle) and goggles along with a pair of gloves to wear during our experiments.  We spiked hair mad-scientist-style for those who were willing.  Then, Scott took over showing the kids cool specimens using a microscope.  After that, it was on to our first experiment. 




 Since we were celebrating a birthday, I figured we might as well incorporate making a cake into the party. So, we made rainbow cake using white cake mix and sprite, then the kids spooned our multi-colored batter into the cupcake pans.  It was messy, but it actually tasted good!




When the cupcakes were in the oven, we moved the party outside to our "laboratory".  We had lots of fun doing our experiments, but didn't get pictures of all of them.  The experiments we did outside were: Color Collisions-- a simple experiment using milk, food coloring and dish soap; Egg in a bottle; we made Slime; Balloon on a Bottle-- where you make the balloon inflate using vinegar and baking soda; Film Canister Rockets--SOOO FUN!; and the old Diet Coke and Mentos fountain-- we did this twice because it was JUST. THAT. AWESOME.






I asked Dallin afterward if his Science party was what he had imagined.  He said it was even BETTER than he imagined!  Now that feels good! :)

3 comments:

Maleen said...

That was the best themed party ever!! June loved it. And I keep laughing because I never thought I would hear myself say things like, "June, why is your brain all over my bed?"

Dalton Family said...

That is so cute! I love all those ideas. Tell Dallin Happy Birthday from us!

Sharla said...

You are an awesome mom! Way to go and Happy Birthday Dallin! Time is going by too fast, where did 8 years go?