Baseball and Prophets
Grant is in Sunbeams now, and that means he gets to participate in Junior Primary! Recently, he was given the opportunity to give his FIRST TALK in Primary. I was excited for my little boy, but unsure of how to engage his interest in writing and giving a talk. Now, Grant is obsessed with interested in 3 things:
1. Playing BASEBALL
2. Talking about BASEBALL
3. Watching BASEBALL
He wears Dallin's old baseball jerseys or some other baseball shirt nearly everyday. It's normal for kids to have imaginary friends at this age, but he has an imaginary baseball team-- the Rangers. He has regularly scheduled games and practices, and informs me when it is my turn to provide treats for his imaginary baseball games. He sleeps in his baseball cap. He is outside "practicing" even as I type this (note: it is 9am and not yet 40 degrees outside).
Thanks, Grant for helping me gain a better understanding of the Gospel!
1. Playing BASEBALL
2. Talking about BASEBALL
3. Watching BASEBALL
He wears Dallin's old baseball jerseys or some other baseball shirt nearly everyday. It's normal for kids to have imaginary friends at this age, but he has an imaginary baseball team-- the Rangers. He has regularly scheduled games and practices, and informs me when it is my turn to provide treats for his imaginary baseball games. He sleeps in his baseball cap. He is outside "practicing" even as I type this (note: it is 9am and not yet 40 degrees outside).
The topic Grant was given for his talk was "There is Safety in Following the Prophets". I figured the best way to get him excited about this topic was to relate it to baseball. So, throughout the week we talked about following prophets as we played baseball. We played catch and talked about how our mitts keep our hands safe-- just like how the prophet's counsel keeps us safe. I pitched for him and talked about how his batting helmet protects his head-- just like how we'll be protected if we listen to and follow the prophet's teachings. He ran the bases and we talked about following the rules and how the commandments are the "rules for life". When Sunday came he was excited to give his talk. He went right up and with some help from mommy related following the prophets to baseball. It was cute. Here is his talk:
I like baseball. (held up a picture he had colored of a ball and bat)
I want to be safe when I play baseball, so I do 3 things:
First, I wear a batting helmet to keep my head safe. (put on his batting helmet)
Second, I wear a glove to keep my hand safe (put on his glove)
Third, I ALWAYS follow the rules.
Heavenly Father wants us to be safe too.
So, he gave us a prophet to help us.
Thomas S. Monson is our prophet (hold up a picture of Pres. Monson)
If we follow the prophet, we will always be safe from the bad things in the world.
Thanks, Grant for helping me gain a better understanding of the Gospel!


1 comment:
I just LOVE that talk! I bet he was just the cutest thing ever up there all big giving his first talk.
Post a Comment